Can You Hear Me Now? While Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was giving a speech condemning governments that arrest protesters and limit free speech, police and plain clothes officials grabbed a man who was standing up in the audience with his back turned to the Secretary. The 71 year-old man was beaten and dragged from the auditorium. (Source)
Here’s the video. As you’ll see there was no heckling involved.
During a public speech by Secretary of StateHillary Clinton at George Washington University in February 2011, McGovern (wearing a Veterans for Peace t-shirt) stood and silently turned his back on Clinton. For this, he was accosted by plain clothes security agents and taken to jail. The incident reportedly left the 71 year-old McGovern “covered with bruises, lacerations and contusions.” (Source)
- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spoke at George Washington University on February 15, 2011 condemning governments that arrest protesters and do not allow free expression.
- When Secretary Clinton began her speech, Mr. McGovern stood silently in the audience and turned his back towards her.
- As a result of this non-violent, silent protest, 71-year-old Ray McGovern was grabbed from the audience in plain view of Ms. Clinton by unidentified officials in plain clothes.
- Ms. Clinton never even paused speaking as the 27-year CIA veteran was dragged out of the room, some 15 feet in front of her.
- Ray McGovern says, “So this is America?” as he is being dragged away.
- After being removed McGovern was brutalized and left bleeding in jail, charged with “disorderly conduct” .
McGovern was born and raised in the Bronx. He graduated summa cum laude of Fordham University. A “Distinguished Military Graduate”, he served in the US Army from 1962-64 as an intelligence officer. McGovern also received an M.A. in Russian Studies from Fordham University; a certificate in Theological Studies from Georgetown University; and was a graduate of Harvard Business School‘s Advanced Management Program.
Upon retirement, McGovern was awarded the Intelligence Commendation Medal from Bush (which he later returned) and worked for Washington-based non-profits before becoming co-director of the Servant Leadership School in Washington. Now, McGovern works with Tell the Word, the publishing arm of the Church of the Saviour in Washington, D.C. (Source)
Hypocrisy 102: Bradley Manning’s Abusive Detention
On Friday, State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley denounced the conditions of Bradley Manning’s detention as “ridiculous, counterproductive and stupid.”
In Obama’s administration, it’s perfectly acceptable to abuse and detain an American citizen who has been convicted of nothing by consigning him to 23-hour-a-day solitary confinement, punitively humiliating and degrading him. But speaking out against that abuse is a firing offense. Good to know.
- Freedom of Speech in US an Oxymoron (politics.ie)
- Obama Receives Transparency Award at Secret Meeting
- ‘So This is America’: Veteran Ray McGovern Bloodied and Arrested At Clinton Speech | Common Dreams (commondreams.org)
- Rob Kall: Former CIA Agent Ray McGovern Discusses Arrest at Secretary Clinton’s Internet Freedom Speech (huffingtonpost.com)
- Hillary Clinton Talks Freedom as Protester Ray McGovern Is Bloodied (alternet.org)
- Ray McGovern Brutalized & Left Bleeding by Hillary Clinton Police, “So this is America!” (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)
- Hillary Clinton Talks Freedom as Protester Ray McGovern is Bloodied (roryoconnor.org)
- “Ray McGovern, Former Sr. CIA Analyst, ‘Bruised, Bloodied’ While Dragged From Room During Hillary Clinton Speech on ‘Freedom of Expression'” and related posts (bradblog.com)
- As Hillary Touts Free Speech, Police Brutalize Ray McGovern (antiwar.com)
- McGovern Bloodied and Arrested at Clinton Speech (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Hillary: Hypocrisy on Free Speech? Tell Her Lead by Taking Action NOW (ephraiyim.wordpress.com)
- Clinton and Obama Celebrate Hypocrisy—trust what they DO, not what they say
- Lone Voices in the Wilderness–speaking truth to power
- The 19 Senators Who Voted to Censor the Internet–the COICA bill
- Trust What Obama DOES, Not What He SAYS
- Obama lawyers strike a blow against freedom of information