Beyond Repair: Instead of squandering trillions on pointless wars and bailouts for the rich we could have been investing in our future, our children’s future, our country’s infrastructure. Instead we’re broke and our infrastructure is broken. We are fast becoming another country. (Source)
How well are the rest of US doing?
U.S. Economy in Review: One in seven in the U.S. lost part or all their income, and so 1 in 7 went on food stamps, 1 in 7 couldn’t afford health insurance, and 1 in 7 couldn’t pay their mortgage, and now 1 in 7 homes stand vacant.
Here’s the facts:
One in seven in the U.S., or more–are unemployed or under-employed:
The ‘Real’ Jobless Rate: 17.5% Of Workers Are Unemployed. (Source: CNBC News)
One in seven in the U.S.–rely on Food Stamps:
14% of the population is now living on food stamps. That’s about 43 million people, or about one out of every seven Americans. (Source: CNN News)
One in seven in the U.S., or more–have no health insurance:
One in seven residential 1st mortgages in the U.S.–are non-performing or defaulting:
An incredible 14% of the nearly 54 million first liens in the country are now either delinquent or in default. (Source: Real Estate Channel News )
One in seven housing units in the U.S.–are vacant:
Approximately 85.5 percent of the housing units in the United States in the third quarter 2009 were occupied and 14.5 percent were vacant. (Source: 2009 US Census report)
In the land of endless affirmative action for the rich, the smart money is on the banks. (Source)
It should be clear to anyone with a little more intelligence than a turnip that the bailouts were nothing more than calculated theft from ‘the people’ in order to cover the inconvenient results of Wall Streets greed and mistakes and to allow for wholesale robbery in name of protecting the system. (Source; also this)
While ordinary Americans are suffering from foreclosures, layoffs and steep cuts in public services, the big banks are sucking up the nation’s wealth and using it to award record bonuses to the same bankers that crashed the economy . . . in a massive transfer of wealth from Main Street to Wall Street. (Source: Big Banks Bonus Bonanza)
I’m talking about a war being waged by some of the wealthiest and most powerful people in this country against the working families of the United States, against the disappearing and shrinking middle class of our country. The billionaires of America are on the warpath. They want more and more and more. — Senator Bernie Sanders (Source)
12 Step Program: In the US 42 million are on food stamps, one out of three families – 45 million people, 22 million children – is “low income”, the number of the working poor continues to increase, over half of the US labor force have suffered unemployment, a cut in pay, reduced work hours, or have become involuntary part-timers since December 2007. (Source)
David DeGraw, editor of AmpedStatus.com, comments:
What kind of president allows this to happen without holding people accountable? What kind of president allows our tax dollars to be taken and handed out as all-time record-breaking bonuses while we have an all-time record-breaking number of people living in poverty? . . .
Whether people want to admit it or not, the overwhelming majority of the population knows that our nation has been taken over by a global banking cartel. We know that our future has gone up in flames. We know that both political parties have been paid off and don’t represent us . . .
If we continue to let our politicians and wealthy members of society live in comfort, free from the consequences of their actions, we are complicit in our own demise . . .
Instead of holding them accountable for the crimes they committed, they were given trillions in taxpayer funds which they used to further consolidate power and give themselves all-time record-breaking bonuses – and they deliberately impoverished tens of millions of people in the process. (Source)
Meanwhile . . . at least we’re safe, right?
One in seven in the U.S. military, or more–rely on psychiatric drugs:
At least one in six service members is on some form of psychiatric drug. (Source: Military Times)
. . . and:
It’s Only Make Believe: Homeland Secretary Napolitano says it is immaterial that the TSA’s x-ray scanners don’t detect bombs and that the TSA’s screeners fail to spot guns and other weapons 70% of the time, because even if they don’t work they make us feel safe and may scare the bad guys away.
- Big Banks Bonus Bonanza
- Underemployment At 16.8 Percent …
- Table A-15. Alternative measures of labor underutilization
- Alternate Unemployment Charts
- Food stamp use spikes: One in seven rely on them – Dec. 21, 2010
- In U.S., 14% Rely on Food Stamps – Real Time Economics – WSJ
- Children increasingly rely on food stamps
- msnbc.com health – Nearly 59 million lack health insurance, CDC says
- CDC: 59.1 million lacked insurance – The Chart
- America Has 130.7 Million Housing Units. 18.8 Million (14%) Are Vacant
- Trying to Overcome the Stubborn Blight of Vacancies (nytimes.com)
- Housing isn’t even close to stabilizing
- Shadow Inventory Avalanche, Coming Soon
- The 7-Million Housing Shadow Inventory Could Trigger A Price Avalanch
- America’s Spreading Foreclosure Pandemic — use Google’s foreclosure maps to expose the extent of foreclosures nationwide and in your neighborhood
- Another Flood of Foreclosures on the Way–one in seven
- Robert Whitaker: ‘Anatomy Of An Epidemic’: Could Psychiatric Drugs …
- Our U.S. Military: Betrayed and Drugged « CCHR International
- Psychiatric drug use skyrockets in U.S. military
- Support the Troops–with drugs
- War on America’s Working Class?
- I Will Not Participate In the Journalism of Appeasement
- Tyranny’s Last Stand: The Tipping Point is Here
- As the Middle Class Collapses and the American Poverty Rate Soars, the Economic Elite Have Never Had It Better