Posted in Economics, trade and business, financial crisis, Harm, pain and hurt, news, Oligarchs, U.S., tagged Americans, depression, Economic inequality, economy, looting, Oligarchs, overwhelming, Poverty, recession on December 12, 2011 |
1 Comment »
29 amazing stats about America today . . . (Source)
Why worry? Be happy.
#1 In the United States today, the wealthiest one percent of all Americans have a greater net worth than the bottom 90 percent combined.
#2 According to the Economic Policy Institute, between 1979 and 2007 income growth for the top 1 percent of all U.S. income earners was an astounding 390 percent. For the bottom 90 percent, income growth was only 5 percent over that same time period.
#3 According to a joint House and Senate report entitled “Income Inequality and the Great Recession“, the top 1 percent of all income earners in the United States brought in a total of 10.0 percent of all income in 1980, but by the time 2008 had rolled around that figure had skyrocketed to 21.0 percent.
#4 According to the Congressional Budget Office, the top 1 percent is the only group that saw its share of our national income increase between 1979 and 2007.
#5 The wealthiest 1 percent of all Americans now own more than a third of all the wealth in the United States.
#6 More than 50 percent of all stocks and bonds are owned by just 1 percent of the population.
Read Full Post »
Posted in Economics, trade and business, global, Oligarchs, tagged Economic, Economic inequality, economy, global, Gordon Gekko, Oligarchs, Poverty, wall street, wealth on October 31, 2010 |
2 Comments »
Ancient Sparta was an ancient Greek State where the top 20%, the “free Spartan citizens”, owned everything and the other 80% of the population were slaves. Sparta was known as the most militarized State in ancient Greece. Some historians say Sparta had to spend vast sums on military to protect the “free Spartan citizens” from the enslaved masses.
Of course, our global economy is much different today. Right?
Just sayin’ . . .
INCOME: The top 1/5 are paid 82.7% of all global income.
(Source: Conley, D., 2008)
- WEALTH: The top 1/3 own 95.6% of all global wealth.
Gordon Gekko said in the movie Wall Street over 20 years ago: “The richest one percent of this country owns half our country’s wealth, five trillion dollars. . . . We make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the price per paper clip. . . . It’s not a question of enough, pal. It’s a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses.” The trick is to convince the losers that the winners DESERVE to win.” (Source)
As we consider the elite owners of the world–is it admiration or revulsion that we feel?
Read Full Post »